CALL TO ORDER

The Board meeting of the Columbia Irrigation District was called to order by President Shawver at 1:02 pm.  Present at the meeting were:

Vincent Shawver, President Gary Weatherly, Engineer
Neil Martin, Vice President Pat Loftus, Acting Manager
Dallas Ayde, Director Lila Freshment, Recorder
Jim Gose, Director  
Sherri Thackham, Director  

Guests: None

PUBLIC COMMENT
None

CONSENT AGENDA

Minutes, March 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30, 2018
Director Gose motioned to approve the minutes of March 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30, 2018.  The motion was seconded by Director Ayde.  Motion approved.

March Vouchers

Voucher 01 Reimburse Revolving Fund $138,054.01
Voucher 02 United Phosphorus $  40,298.97
    $178,352.98

The Board reviewed and discussed the March Vouchers.  Director Gose motioned to approve the vouchers as submitted.  Director Martin seconded the motion.  Motion approved.

February Financial Statement
The Board Reviewed and discussed the February Financial Statement.

OLD BUSINESS

Open Managers Position
Ms. Freshment presented information on background check companies.  Director Martin motioned to have a background check completed by Trusted Employees.  Director Ayde seconded the motion.  Motion passed.

Attorney
The District’s Attorney, Jeff Sperline, is preparing a Hold Harmless Agreement between CID and Agrium.  The agreement needs to be in place prior to Agrium proceeding with the pipe crossing over Lateral 2.  President Shawver will contact him about meeting with the District’s previous attorney to review ongoing legal matters.

Work Orders by Division
The Board reviewed and discussed the work orders in their respective divisions.

Fairgrounds
Director Thackham asked about the meeting with Benton County and the City of Kennewick.  Operations Foreman Loftus said it was decided the County will complete their portion first and then the City will complete their part.  He will contact the County regarding a start time.

Director Thackham asked for an update on the City of West Richland’s concern of a possible canal leak near 38th and Grant.  Gary Weatherly will investigate and report his findings to the District.

NEW BUSINESS

Agrium Canal Crossing
Agrium approached the District last year about putting in a 4-inch steel pipe across CID’s right-of-way on Lateral 2.  They have been unable to complete the work during winter, so CID agreed to allowed it to be done while water was in the canal.  The area is located below a check structure which is basically a spillway with very shallow water at the bottom.  Gary has been working with Agrium’s engineer on the drawings.  Before construction begins the Hold Harmless Agreement needs to be in place to protect the District.

Funds Transfer
Assessment payments are have increased, eliminating the need to transfer funds from Surplus to the Operation & Maintenance Account.

Operations Report
Operations Foreman Pat Loftus reported the District began filling the canal on March 20, 2018.  It took approximately six days to fill and flush the canal.  He expects to have everything on by next week except for isolated areas turned off for repair.  Director Thackham asked how the forecasted rain is expected to affect the repair at Tapteal.  Loftus stated the drainage pipe is working well and doesn’t anticipate any problems.

Duportail Bridge
Gary Weatherly informed the Board the Duportail Bridge Project will be moving forward.  The project will take several years.  It is possible work may begin in the Canal Right-of-Way this winter.  Preliminary work could be starting within the next few months.

Executive Session
President Shawver moved the meeting into executive session at 2:40 pm for 30 minutes to discuss manager selection, personnel and potential litigation.  At 3:10 pm the session was extended for 20 minutes.  The session was extended and additional 15 minutes at 3:30.

President Shawver moved the meeting into open session at 4:00 pm.  Director Ayde motioned the manager pay 12% of Healthcare and will not be paid for accrued sick leave upon separation of employment.  This motion overrides the employee handbook.  Director Thackham seconded the motion.  Motion approved.

RECESS
President Shawver adjourned the meeting at 4:10 pm.