CALL TO ORDER

The Board meeting of the Columbia Irrigation District was called to order by President Shawver at 1:00 pm.  Present at the meeting were:

Vincent Shawver, President Gary Weatherly, JUB Engineers
Neil Martin, Vice President Howard Ellison, Manager
Dallas Ayde, Director Pat Loftus, Field Foreman
Jim Gose, Director Matthew Morrell, Director Bonnie Kulp, Recorder
   

Guests: None

PUBLIC COMMENT None

CONSENT AGENDA

Minutes, May 5, 2017
The minutes of May 5, 2017 were presented to the Board. Director Gose made a motion to approve the minutes and Director Martin seconded the motion.  Motion approved.

May Vouchers

Voucher 01

 

Reimburse Revolving Fund

 

 

$139,353.85

 

 

     

The May Vouchers were reviewed and discussed by the Board. Director Morrell made a motion to approve the Vouchers and Director Martin seconded the motion. Motion approved.

April Financial Statement
The April Financial Statement was reviewed and discussed by the Board.

OLD BUSINESS

Dupertail Bridge
Manager Ellison reported he received 35 pages of drawings for the bridge project. JUB Engineer, Gary Weatherly stated the project is moving ahead and the projected start date is in the Fall of 2018.  

Aquavella
Attorney Tom Cowan suggested CID have JUB create an electronic copy of the district boundaries and complete the process by taking it to Benton County Boundary Review Board to make sure everything is documented concerning CID boundaries. CID went through the Boundary Review Board when the properties in West Richland were annexed.

Work Orders by Division
The Board reviewed and discussed the work orders in their respective divisions.

Manager Ellison reported the 1987 International Dump Truck was stolen during the lunch break on May 30th. A discussion followed about putting GPS units in our vehicles and equipment.

Tour
Comments from Director Shawver indicated the Director tour was informative and useful. He felt it was good to see and understand that the water seeping underneath the canal is not CID water.  He commented on the importance of keeping the right-of-ways clear and water off the canal roads.  He also commented on the responsibility Directors have to follow the rules by setting good examples.

NEW BUSINESS

Petition to Add Land to LID
A petition was submitted by Jose Alcocer to add his 0.41 acre parcel #10780200006400, 115 E 16th Avenue to LID #03. Mr. Alcocer paid the petition fee and will pay approximately $130 to join the LID plus any cost incurred to bring the water to his parcel.

Director Morrell made a motion to accept the petition and Director Ayde seconded it. Advertising will be submitted for a hearing to be held at the July 7th regularly scheduled board meeting.

CID Right-of-Way
Manager Ellison showed pictures of properties with encroachments on the CID right-of-way. He would like CID to reclaim the right-of-way for ease of moving equipment and maintaining the ditch roads. The Board reviewed a copy of a letter to be sent to patrons who have encroached onto District property.

Dog Policy
The Board discussed the actual need for a dog policy and concluded that tying CID to a policy that would be difficult to adhere to would be unnecessary. Manager Ellison stated that CID treats patrons with respect. Crew members understand the importance of service dogs and Mrs.Thackham’s dog is not threatened by any of them. He also stated it is not proper for CID to make a policy for one individual patron of the District.

Other Business
Manager Ellison announced to the Board that Steve Sennett, attorney for Enduris, received a “Notice of Withdrawal” from Joel Teeley’s attorney, David Hevel. Unless additional information surfaces, he will withdraw from the wrongful termination suit as of June 8, 2017.

Director Shawver reminded the Board of the upcoming webinar, “Your Role as a Director” on June 8th, at 11:00 am at the District office.

Ellison also announced the ground settlement issue at Sheila Thackham’s property is not completed yet. Enduris is trying to ascertain exactly how much she is watering the area to see if it’s finished settling. June 17th is the follow-up date for Enduris to get with Mrs. Thackham.

Operations Report
Operations Foreman, Pat Loftus reported treatment for algae and aquatic weeds has begun. If there are no major irrigation issues going on, the crew can begin hauling rock to the reservoir site and work on the road leading to it.

Manager Ellison stated the City still hasn’t done anything at 10th and Fairway. Currently, they don’t have the funds to put in the dry well. Manager Ellison stated if any problems occur the City will be billed for damages.

Director Gose asked about chipping some brush on the canal bank south of Lyons Check where he cut a big branch off of a tree. He would like to bring in a chipper to clean up the brush and leave it on the ditch bank.  Manager Ellison informed him the EPA will require it to be hauled off as they won’t let us burn it.  Howard asked him to come in and sign a hold harmless agreement if he’s going to be working on the ditchbank.

Director Gose stated trees within 35 feet from the center of the ditch should be taken out. He felt if CID was going to reclaim its’ right of way and make people move their fences back then the trees should be removed.

Director Gose also brought up the subject of the ditch road in West Richland, near the dam where it is very narrow. Ellison stated he is trying to get ahold of other entities involved in the area there to see if there would be any interest in helping improve the road.

The last item Director Gose brought up was the element of danger on the ditch road at the end of Riverside Drive, near Elite Sod. He thinks the District needs to make the ditch less dangerous and suggested the installation of cables.

ADJOURNMENT
President Shawver adjourned the meeting at 2:41 pm.